Saturday, January 05, 2019
TKC BREAKING NEWS!!! TRANSIT ACTIVIST CLAY CHASTAIN DEBUTS KANSAS CITY MAYORAL CAMPAIGN!!!
Here's FIRST WORD on the latest political effort from a longtime Kansas City rail activist and prolific petitioner . . .
Tuesday, Clay Chastain turns in his petitions and declares himself the dark horse candidate in the race for mayor.
Unlike the other leading mayoral candidates, who are advancing their cause with other people's money and suffusing their campaigns with insipid political rhetoric like "momentum," Clay hereby commends to the voters of Kansas City what he is against and what he is for in his bid to improve Kansas City by becoming its next mayor.
What Clay is against:
1. The six council members running for mayor because they have all failed the people by...supporting tax-abated glitzy projects for the elite while largely ignoring Kansas City's high, horrific and demoralizing homicide rate, failing to forge a viable and specific vision for how to grow the city in population and revenues and supporting the undermining of petitions submitted to the city by the people.
2. Southward expansion of the streetcar system since it is obsolete, slow and does little to modernize, expand and quicken the city's pathetic transit system or help the disadvantaged get to jobs across the city.
3. Anymore taxpayer-subsidized handouts to wealthy developers for projects not located in veritable blighted areas of the city.
4. The single-terminal airport unless it costs the $1.0 billion the city told voters it would cost and unless it is built without any taxpayer monies or taxpayer loans the city told voters it would not require.
5. Kansas City's current manipulative and dishonest government that has deprived citywide voters a voice in deciding important civic issues like...the streetcar, light rail, a competing plan to remodel KCI and a taxpayer-subsidized downtown convention hotel.
6. Kansas City's regressive earnings tax that particularly hurts the working poor and stymies business and economic growth in the city.
7. The cultural, historical and pedestrian-oriented degradation of Kansas City's #1 destination - the Plaza - and its criminal invasion.
What Clay is for:
1. Making our city safer by...hiring more police including more bicycle-patrol officers and cold-case detectives, embracing a new focus on preventing violent crime by reaching out to troubled youth early and providing them guidance, support and a viable alternative to drugs and violence including making available to them a new 2-year high school trades program.
2. Much more focus on improving Kansas City's infrastructure and neighborhoods, and far less focus on glitzy downtown projects that cater to tourists and the elite.
3. Transparent, honest and competent government working in behalf of the everyday taxpayer rather than the everyday wealthy developer.
4. Transforming our community into a more green, prosperous and transit-oriented city.
5. Growing the city in population and revenues so the city has a sufficient tax base to maintain its vast infrastructure.
6. Lowering taxes and city debt by... better managing the city's general fund, conducting audits, growing the city in population and eliminating TIF.
7. A "Return to the City Beautiful."
Mayoral candidate, Clay Chastain
Developing . . .