This town's most prolific activist and urban planner offers his earnest belief that the new White House can power this town's future.
Check-it . . .
Clay Chastain: Petition initiative (the City refuses to place on the ballot) shows how Kansas City can reinvent itself to be bigger & better.
Kansas City is undergoing an economic crisis brought on by a violent crime surge, loss of revenue and now the coronavirus pandemic. The sky is falling in Kansas City.
But with incoming President Biden's anticipated infrastructure rebuilding proposal, there are opportunities to make big changes to KC's infrastructure and turn our town into a leading 21st Century City.
The people's initiative is our blueprint to reinvent Kansas City from a fading asphalt-oriented City into America's foremost green-oriented City. Here is a sampling of green initiatives proposed by the petition:
(1) Build a safe, quiet and car-free "Greenway System" crisscrossing our City and providing separated right-of-ways for walking, biking, scooters and electric transit vehicles;
(2) Reinvent Penn Valley Park from an eerie, underused and road-riddled urban dud into a popular, car-free and 130-acre green hot spot replete with natural landscapes, trails and outdoor recreational opportunities;
(3) Reinvent Troost Avenue from a brutal, blighted and dividing urban wall into a lush, bridging and unifying "Greenway" (See attached artistic rendering) where people can reside (alongside) and move about our City without an automobile;
(4) Build "Virtual Rail" (rapid electric bus spine) connecting the central City, Downtown and the northland to Kansas City's new airport;
(5) Transform Union Station into its highest and best use as the metro areas new Multimodal Regional Transportation Center;
(6) Build two (ultra) light rail lines (crisscrossing the eastside) to drive eastside economic reinvestment, improve mobility and connect the eastside to the rest of the all-electric transit system at Union Station;
(7) Create an Electric Express Bus Fleet departing from Union Station and rapidly connecting passengers to major metro-area employment centers and destinations.
This green vision for our struggling City will not just bring Kansas City back; it will bring Kansas City roaring back!
Community Activist, Clay Chastain
Developing . . .