A local federal law enforcement crackdown sparked by the murder of a youngster earlier this year seems to be complete given the vast majority of resources and personnel now moving out of Kansas City just days after another baby was shot to death in a hail of gunfire.
The basics the most important aspect of a recent report:
Nearly all of the more than 200 agents and investigators involved in Operation LeGend, the federal crime-fighting initiative, have left Kansas City, a federal official said Wednesday.
Update . . . The newspaper offers this rebuttal from authorities
The U.S. Attorney’s Office Don Ledford responded: “I would not say LeGend is over in Kansas City . . . It’s not sustainable to keep all of those agents in Kansas City permanently,” he said, “and that was never the intent.”
Here's a munch more extensive quote from the U.S. Attorney:
“Operation LeGend has had a significant impact in reducing the level of violent crime in Kansas City, and those efforts will continue,” Garrison said. “The additional federal agents who arrived in Kansas City this summer have returned to their home districts, just as we said they would when the operation commenced in July. But the lessons learned and the strategies implemented under Operation LeGend remain, even as this community continues the multi-faceted work of reducing violent crime.”
Despite a successful capture and charge against the suspect in the murder of Operation LeGend's namesake, there has been increased skepticism of the federal effort amid steadily rising local violence.
Accordingly . . .
Now as the threat of renewed civil unrest amid the upcoming election and a historic murder count for KCMO 2020 seems inevitable . . . Operation LeGend hopes to continue its impact despite an absence of manpower.
Developing . . .