Wednesday, March 18, 2020
TKC MUST READ!!! CONGRESSMAN CLEAVER SHARES RESOURCES TO HELP FIGHT CORONAVIRUS!!!
Here's a glimpse at the legislative effort to protect the public from Kansas City's highest ranking elected official . . .
Rep. Cleaver Calls For Wide Array of Government Actions To Protect Americans From Coronavirus
March 18, 2020
(Washington, D.C.) - United States Representative Emanuel Cleaver, II (D-MO) has joined his congressional colleagues in calling for a multitude of actions to be taken by the federal government in response to the worsening coronavirus crisis. Some of the actions Cleaver has urged the administration to take include:
- Using the powers afforded by the Defense Production Act of 1950 “to begin the mass production of supplies needed to address the ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 pandemic.” Cleaver was joined by 56 colleagues, and you can find the official letter here. President Trump today announced he will take this action.
- Marshaling Department of Defense “to contribute to broader whole-of-government efforts to address the continued spread of COVID-19.” Cleaver was joined by 65 colleagues, and you can find the official letter here.
- Instituting “an immediate, nationwide moratorium on all foreclosures of, and evictions from, properties owned, insured, or overseen by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the Department of Veterans Affairs, or the United States Department of Agriculture’s Rural Housing Service in light of the developing Novel Coronavirus pandemic.” Cleaver was joined by 106 colleagues, and you can find the official letter here.
- Supporting the Governor of Missouri’s request for Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Assistance in response to COVID-19. Cleaver was joined by the rest of the Missouri congressional delegation, and you can find the official letter here.
- Establishing a Special Enrollment Period for patients to seek ACA marketplace coverage during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cleaver was joined by over 100 lawmakers, and you can find the official letter here.
- Requesting the Department of Education work with American students and higher education institutions to mitigate the potential financial burden placed on students due to the coronavirus. Cleaver was joined by over 40 colleagues, and you can find the official letter here.
“This is an extraordinary situation we find ourselves in, and it’s going to take extraordinary steps to protect the American people and their livelihoods from the Novel Coronavirus,” said Congressman Cleaver. “The federal government has a wide array of tools in the toolbox, and we need to make sure we’re using everything in the hardware store to lessen the burden on American families, students, small businesses, veterans, and so many more.”
Developing . . .