Friday, January 31, 2020
Courthouse Help Wanted: Jackson County Now Hiring 'Communications Marketing Coordinator' As Property Tax Crisis Worsens
Here's an important look at working life for Jackson County as Super Bowl spirit distracts from bigger problems.
First, word from an EPIC TKC TIPSTER:
"Jackson County didn't have enough money to do the property assessment valuations right, supposedly hasn't had enough cash to hire adequate staff and manage all the appeals, AND needs money to build a new jail, but there's money for this . . . They're hiring something called a communications marketing coordinator.
"The county website says this person is going to "recommend techniques to improve the county's image." So another politically connected PR pro gets a cushy job at the county but I can't get my calls to the assessor answered?
"The budget shows the county spending over $600 grand on Communications. There's already a director and a so-called Public Information Officer, and three more on staff. None of these people are helping keep me informed about my appeal. I really doubt this new job position is going to help communicate with me about that."
"I bet their only job is protecting Frank White's image, and we're paying for it."
Accordingly, we offer a peek at the job listing just in case the many out of work media people who read our blog daily think they're up to the task:
Communications Marketing Coordinator
Salary: $39,873 - $61,776/year
Jackson County’s Communications Department is searching for a Communications Marketing Coordinator to join our dynamic marketing team. Your duties will be diverse and multi-faceted, therefore excellent professional skills are vital for this role.
The associate in this position is responsible for various county marketing and communications initiatives with internal associates and external customers including agencies as a representative of the County; manage development, production and distribution of promotional and collateral materials; supports various marketing strategies and activities; use content management system and other social media to create and send emails, newsletter, etc. The successful candidate will help create promotional materials, contribute to the development of the County’s websites, organize meetings and presentations, and interact with clients to effectively deliver the county’s message to the public and to associates. You must possess superb written and verbal communication skills. This associate works closely with county departments to support mutual initiatives. The associate in this position reports to the Director of Communications.
• Write content for both print and Web including the county’s website, brochures, reports, social media and newsletters.
• Monitor the company’s social media and online presence.
• Organize and direct promotional events.
• Recommend techniques to improve the county’s public image.
• Identify and resolve any issues with promotional content in a timely and professional manner.
• Coordinate meetings, public meetings, special events, press conferences and presentations.
• Assist with video production.
• Provide support and assistance in developing, producing and delivering marketing and communication materials.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Worked in Adobe Creative Suite
• Knowledge of proper English usage, spelling and composition.
• Knowledge of writing techniques and methods.
• Knowledge of public speaking techniques.
• Knowledge of marketing and promotion techniques.
• Knowledge of content management and updating websites.
• Skill in planning, developing and implementing events.
• Knowledge of social media techniques to help in promoting the county.
• Skill and knowledge of personal computers and various software; spreadsheets, word processing, etc.
• Edit and produce videos to help promote the departments within the county.
• Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or related field or combination of vocational school or college and two years equivalent work related experience.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
• Must submit to/pass pre-employment drug screen test/background check
TO WIT: TKC WISHES KANSAS CITY STAR NEWSIE MIKE HENDRICKS GOOD LUCK!!!
Developing . . .