Tuesday, November 26, 2019
TKC MUST SEE!!! KANSAS CITY FIGHT FOR $15 CAMPAIGN HELP WANTED!!!
Almost everything eventually becomes a grind and right now with SPECIAL THANKS TO KICK-ASS TKC READERS we've got a glimpse behind the curtain of a social justice movement that has earned quite a bit of progress locally by way of nationwide union funding.
To wit . . .
HELP WANTED!!! THE KANSAS CITY FIGHT FOR $15 CAMPAIGN PREPS FOR 2020 ELECTION YEAR PROTEST!!!
OF COURSE, not everybody agrees with this fair wage fast food worker movement and some of our smartest readers point out that the protests simply advance the argument for increased automation and actually hurt low-wage workers in the long run.
Then again, a look at the job descriptions indicates that this entry level organizer position probably doesn't even pay $15-buck-an-hour if done properly and seems like very exhausting grassroots work. The whole thing reminds our blog community of a long-ago satirical article that hit upon a fundamental truth: Undercover Cop Never Knew Selling Drugs Was Such Hard Work
Nevertheless, with special thanks to EPIC FRIENDS OF THE BLOG IN THE NON-PROFIT WORLD . . . We get a detailed glimpse at how this movement works from the inside out as the new crop of PROFESSIONAL ACTIVISTS prepare start another season of protest . . . Checkit:
ORGANIZER – KANSAS CITY, MO Fight for $15 and a Union Campaign
LOCATION: Kansas City, MO
JOB TYPE: Full Time
REPORTS TO: Senior Lead Organizer and Coordinator
SUPERVISES: This position does not supervise staff.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate based on experience.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To represent and assist the SEIU-NFFWU in organizing fast food workers and implementing organizing goals of the Campaign. This is a bargaining unit position.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
To conduct broad and intensive outreach efforts to fast food workers and other low-wage workers by:
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (Abridged):
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and grassroots organizing.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and holidays. Possession of basic map navigation skills a plus.
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver's license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
SEIU NFFWU staff enjoys top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU NFFWU is an Equal Opportunity employer that values and respects the diversity of its staff. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 - 49,999
Good luck to all the candidates . . . You decide . . .