Thursday, March 07, 2019
TKC BREAKING NEWS!!! NKC SCHOOLS REJECT MAYOR SLY'S PRE-K SALES TAX!!!
Special thanks to our reader community for this EXTENSIVE DEBUNKING of Mayor Sly's final tax push.
To wit . . .
CHECK THIS EPIC TAKE DOWN OF MAYOR SLY'S PRE-K PUSH FROM NKC SCHOOLS!!!
Here's the word . . .
"As the April 2 election date draws near, NKC Schools would like you to become familiar with an issue that will appear on the ballot for those of you who live within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri. Mayor Sly James has proposed a 3/8 cent sales tax to fund Pre-K for all four-year-olds living within the city of KCMO. While each of us in NKC Schools recognizes the value and need for Pre-K instruction, we are in agreement with our Board of Education’s contention that the plan brought forward by Mayor James does not work best for our school district.
"Please learn about this ballot issue and become an informed voter before you cast your vote on April 2."
For readers wanting to learn more, here's the statement:
LEARN THE FACTS ABOUT THE KCMO PRE-K TAX PROPOSAL
KCMO Mayor Sly James has proposed a 3/8th cent sales tax to provide Pre-Kindergarten learning to all four-year-olds within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri. NKC Schools would love to see every four-year-old in our school district have the opportunity to attend a high quality Pre-K program, but there are several things about the mayor's plan you should know before you are asked to vote on this (if you live within the city limits of KCMO) on Tuesday, April 2.
WHAT IS THE MAYOR'S PLAN?
Mayor James' plan intends to:
- Offer universal Pre-K for all 4-year-olds in KCMO
- Funded through a 3/8 cent sales tax on all goods purchased in KCMO
- Tax increase will generate $28 million per year:
• Will fund preschool at public, private and religious providers
• Will be run by the Mid America Regional Council (MARC)
• Will be overseen by mayor-appointed commission, an advisory board and ultimately the City Council of KC
HOW DOES IT IMPACT NKC SCHOOLS?
The mayor's plan, while well-intentioned, would not include Pre-K services for every four-year-old in our district. Specifically, there are four basic areas that voters need to learn more about before the election.
1. The mayor's Pre-K plan strips responsibility for educational decision-making from our locally elected boards of education. A citywide mayor-appointed commission of five people will direct the tax with input from an Advisory Board and ultimately the City Council. Nowhere in the process do the people we elected to oversee our schools get to have a say.
2. The mayor's Pre-K plan uses a regressive sales tax to fund the program, shifting financial responsibility where the poorest end up paying disproportionately more than others. Again, the plan is based on a sales tax, not a property tax.
3. The mayor's Pre-K plan does not serve ALL children. NKC Schools serves 14 different municipalities, so students living in Gladstone, NKC, Claycomo, Pleasant Valley, Avondale, Village of Oaks, Oakwood and Birmingham would not be eligible to participate. Only those students and schools within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri would be able to receive Pre-K services. Less than 100 students in NKC Schools would most likely benefit from the tax.
4. The mayor's Pre-K plan violates the Missouri Constitution. The mayor's plan would generate around $28 million per year in tax revenue. The plan dictates that initially only about 25% citywide would go to student tuition. The remaining 75% would be used to duplicate services already existing in local school districts. This diversion of funds to private and religious schools violates the Missouri Constitution.
KCMO residents will vote on this issue on Tuesday, April 2. Please educate yourself on the proposal. Legislation has been introduced at the state level to expand Pre-K services to all students throughout Missouri. It is the state's responsibility to fund education.
NKC Schools believes early childhood education is in the best interest of ALL district students and is working to deliver those services in a way that best fits our community and our budget.
Please be an informed voter and as always, please remember to vote on April 2.
A look at the note . . .
You decide . . .