Friday, January 11, 2019
TKC EXCLUSIVE!!! CLAY CHASTAIN STARTS CAMPAIGN FOR MAYOR BY WAGING WAR AGAINST KANSAS CITY STAR!!!
The most prolific transit advocate in KCMO history has a longstanding grudge match against the daily paper but the fortunes of the institution have never been worse whist the mayoral field is exceptionally crowded -- THEREFORE, anything could happen in this coming silly season contest.
To wit . . .
NOW MORE THAN EVER CLAY CHASTAIN ATTACKING THE KANSAS CITY STAR COULD HELP DISTINGUISH HIS CAMPAIGN FROM HIS COMPETITION!!!
The newspaper has harped on him about residency issues but a truly outsider campaign targeting dead-tree media might be the best chance this candidate has to stand out from the crowd.
Here's his latest argument:
Fake news KC Star unfairly slams mayoral candidate Clay Chastain, yet again, to try and make sure he doesn't win the mayor's race.
For 39 years the far left-leaning, Johnson County-based and know it all KC Star editorial board (now led by Kansan's Dave Helling and Steve Kraske) has treated Clay Chastain badly even though Clay has been a community activist trying to improve Kansas City by...
1. fighting to restore and protect its parks, historical neighborhoods and historic structures,
2. single-handedly saving Union Station from demolition,
3. single-handedly winning the 2006 light rail election the corrupt city later overturned and
4. single-handedly fighting city hall’s on-going abuse of the people's democratic petition process.
Today’s Star editorial titled, “This candidate for KC Mayor appears to live in Virginia. Shouldn’t that be a problem?” – is no exception. The biased news side of the Star also wrote a recent article titled, “Why won’t he (Chastain) just leave us alone?” Because “Fake news” KC Star (who always uses unflattering pictures of me looking angry), under your leadership the city has…
1. become the fifth most dangerous city in the nation,
2. suffered decades of broken down infrastructure and inner-city neighborhoods,
3. lost over 100,000 residents in the last 50 years,
4. witnessed its public school enrollment drop from 78,000 students to 12,000,
5. seen its affordable housing wither away,
6. given away tons of precious taxpayer money to wealthy developers (to further line their fur-lined pockets), rather than properly directing that money towards helping fund KC’s schools, libraries and infrastructure and has,
7. nary a smooth paved street south of the river! So, “Shouldn’t that be a problem,” KC Star?
Even though Helling wrote a recent editorial saying, “He (Chastain) can’t win,” Helling and the biased Star are nevertheless obsessed with taking another cheap shot attacking Chastain. This time over the fact Clay is running for mayor while only living in Kansas City part-time. Clay told the Star he will move back to KC full-time if the voters hire Clay to be KC’s next mayor. But for now, Clay cannot leave his job in Virginia because he has the responsibility of taking care of his youngest daughter there.
For the record, nowhere does the city charter specifically prohibit part-time residents from running for mayor. Not only that, the courts have ruled (Pat Roberts and Kit Bond cases) that a candidate resides where he says he resides, as long as the candidate has a direct connection to the community in which he is seeking office.
No one can doubt Clay has a direct connection to the place he calls home - Kansas City - because in addition to his long-term activism Clay has continued to be a KCMO registered voter, most of Clay's family lives in the KC area including his 2-grand children and Clay's parents are buried alongside each other in an eastside KCMO cemetery.
A vote for Clay is a vote against…the biased Kansas City Star, the corrupt inept government at city hall the Star backs up and the Johnson County elite who control Kansas City politics for their own self-serving purposes.
A vote for Clay is a vote for... A New Focus, New Ideas & A New Kind of City - the Return of "The City Beautiful."
Mayoral candidate, Clay Chastain
You decide . . .