Thursday, November 29, 2018
KANSAS CITY KEEPS LIQUOR CARDS!!! ACTIVIST & WESTPORT OUTCY REJECTED!!!
The debate over Kansas City Liquor cards denied to felons lasted for more than an hour today and ended in disappointment for those advocating change.
Despite "ban the box" efforts and the dearth of Missouri regs . . .
City Council kept the longstanding policy of denying a "liquor card" to felons.
A few things to consider . . .
- In what might be the oddest local political pairing of 2018 - Social Justice Warriors and Westport Leaders are united in their efforts against so-called "dumb cards" as a barrier to employment.
- What everyone forgets: Liquor cards are free money and represent one of the oldest employment taxes in KCMO history dating back to KC's golden mob era.
- Neighborhood leaders helped to put down liquor card push back. While Wesport is the loudest against the regulation, East Side & neighbors on the outskirts of town realize that rules restricting bars & felons are important to keep often dangerous hangouts in check.
- Regulated Industries is against the change and makes an important point about taking away one of their tools to check the local bar biz.
- Count this as another issue that could influence the upcoming election season as candidates will face questions on their viewpoint of this culture war service industry controversy.
Developing . . .