Thursday, August 23, 2018
TKC BREAKING NEWS!!! KANSAS CITY MSM NATIONWIDE PRISON STRIKE BLACKOUT!!! IN SOLIDARITY, ACTIVISTS DEMAND JACKSON COUNTY JAIL REFORM!!!
There's a nationwide prison uprising that's gaining momentum but Kansas City newsies don't want to talk about it given so much dangerous drama at the downtown jail.
To wit . . .
THE NATIONWIDE PRISON STRIKE IS RAMPING UP AND LOCAL ACTIVISTS ARE FOCUSED ON THE HUMAN RIGHTS ATROCITIES COMMITTED AT JACKSON COUNTY JAIL AS AN EXAMPLE OF A BROKEN SYSTEM!!!
For years there have been stories of rape, abuse, violence and horrific living conditions at the jail. What's worse is that Courthouse officials have accomplished little to address the situation or create real change.
So far a few flare ups at meetings of the legislature and a community forum are the only real action from the embattled government body. The reality is that politicos simply wait till the issue is out of the newscycle and then continue to neglect the crisis.
Now, the prison strike isn't just about alleged slave labor but also speaks to the prison industrial complex overall and the need for reform.
Better than any other MSM news outlet, Internet news guru Philip DeFranco did an amazing job rounding up the sitch:
Here's more insight into their struggle and what organizers want:
1. Immediate improvements to the conditions of prisons and prison policies that recognize the humanity of imprisoned men and women.
2. An immediate end to prison slavery. All persons imprisoned in any place of detention under United States jurisdiction must be paid the prevailing wage in their state or territory for their labor.
3. The Prison Litigation Reform Act must be rescinded, allowing imprisoned humans a proper channel to address grievances and violations of their rights.
4. The Truth in Sentencing Act and the Sentencing Reform Act must be rescinded so that imprisoned humans have a possibility of rehabilitation and parole. No human shall be sentenced to Death by Incarceration or serve any sentence without the possibility of parole.
5. An immediate end to the racial overcharging, over-sentencing, and parole denials of Black and brown humans. Black humans shall no longer be denied parole because the victim of the crime was white, which is a particular problem in southern states.
6. An immediate end to racist gang enhancement laws targeting Black and brown humans.
7. No imprisoned human shall be denied access to rehabilitation programs at their place of detention because of their label as a violent offender.
8. State prisons must be funded specifically to offer more rehabilitation services.
9. Pell grants must be reinstated in all US states and territories.
10. The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded. All voices count.
Even better . . .
BEFORE THE STRIKE IS OVER EXPECT ACTIVISTS TO CALL OUT AND PROTEST THE ONGOING HUMAN RIGHTS CRISIS AT JACKSON COUNTY JAIL!!!
The issue should continue to take hold given recent prison uprisings in Norton, KS and Cameron, MO
A few readers have sent info our way but by far this activist had the money line on the topic:
"In the middle of downtown Kansas City we have a clear sign that prisons and jails in the U.S. are part of systemic corruption. The jail doesn't just endanger inmates but also guards and the public in general. KC can try to ignore the plight of the imprisoned but the problems are already finding their way back onto local streets because massive incarceration connects the inside and outside world . . ."
And yes, there will be a protest forthcoming while the County works to create even more local spin on this event marking the deadly Attica riot/uprising . . . #TBT Double bonus points for any age appropriate LADY hipster who wants to send TKC video reenacting the Attica! Attica! Attica! scene from Saturday Night Fever or Dog Day Afternoon. But I digress . . .
Check more news on the topic and as of this writing all other KCMO media have avoided the topic:
The Cut: Everything You Need to Know About the Prison Strike, One of the Largest in U.S. History
US: 'You can’t just treat people like animals': U.S. prison strike prompts solidarity rallies
Axios: Inmates in 17 states are striking against "slavery"
The Hill: Prisoners around the nation launch strike to end 'modern day slavery'
ABA: Nationwide prisoner strike makes demands for better treatment, justice reform
Developing . . .