While nobody is quite as hardbody as Jordan Carver . . . Here are the strongest Kansas City power players in the year of our Lord 2011.
1. MO State Rep. Jason Kander And Kansas City Mayor Sly James
Together they made Kansas City political history. Both veterans, both lawyers, one just starting a political career and another with no experience holding office . . . This duo brought forth a power shift among Kansas City's elite that now defines our reality.
2. MO STATE REP. MIKE TALBOY
In Kansas City, Missouri . . . Behind the scenes, NOBODY is more influential. A power broker in every sense of the word. Mr. Talboy has garnered strong ties among Democrats, Republicans and has started to reach out into national politics. Without a doubt he is one of the youngest, smartest and savviest members of Kansas City's political elite.
3. UNITED STATES CONGRESSMAN EMANUEL CLEAVER
The former Kansas City Mayor isn't content to stay in Washington D.C, The Congressman has more moral authority and influence than anybody in this cowtown. And when Congressman Cleaver speaks, he commands attention.
4. TRACY WARD
A TKC Pink Haired Favorite . . She garnered a lot of respect for a grassroots City Council Run that earned surprising support. She continues to advocate for greater civil liberties in Kansas City.
5. POLITICAL CONSULTANT STEVE GLORIOSO
An influential Kansas City power player in every respect . . . Mr. Glorioso is sought out by a great many elected officials and businesses for this extensive list of contacts and mastery of the local discourse.
6. EAST SIDE LEADER CLINTON ADAMS
Mr. Adams is a tireless advocate for Kansas City's 3rd District. His influence on issues of education and politics is hard to overstate. On local issues related to electoral politics, redistricting and all things connected to Kansas City's African-American Community . . . Mr. Adams is a powerful force.
7. COUNCILMAN JOHN SHARP
No current member of the City Council has more experience or a greater working knowledge of the legislative process than Councilman Sharp. He's a wild card who is termed out and certainly one of the most influential people in Kansas City.
8. MAYOR PRO TEM CINDY CIRCO
She's soon to be single, she's also termed out and we hear she is more frisky than ever!!!
9. JACKSON COUNTY PROSECUTOR JEAN PETERS-BAKER
Prosecutor Peters-Baker has taken on Bishop Finn, people hope that her move to "clean-up" the Prosecutor's office has paid off . . . "Mean Jean" has a great deal of support throughout every part of the County . . . Given that we all depend on her success.
10. POLITICAL CONSULTANT JEFF ROE
They say Mr. Roe is now "mainstream" but the fact is that he has exerted his power in every facet of Kansas City politics so much the he defies partisan categorization. He has a client list that is the envy of most professionals in the Midwest and his Axiom Strategies consultancy is truly a national operation.
11. MO STATE REP. BRANDON ELLINGTON
A community success story for this year and yet another sign that persistence and dedication can ultimately lead to victory.
12. COUNCIL LADY JAN MARCASON
Your next Mayor.
Russ Ptacek is a Cadillac among men and a consistent leader among Kansas City journalists. He's a media legend in the making who defines the discourse in this town.
A Kansas City newsman that everyone wants as a friend. He's on Twitter, he's on the air and everywhere news can be found
Mr. Wessson defines Community Journalism in Kansas City. He's a valuable resource, an advocate and a leader.
Behind the scenes and as much as anyone in Kansas City . . . Ms. Smith shapes the local news.
Hey Cameraman teaches us all about Internet and digital newsgathering more than anyone else . . .With podcasts, great photos and even a few funnies . . . Hey Cameraman makes the news even more interesting.
JOHN LANDSBERG'S BOTTOM LINE COMMUNICATIONS
Mr. Landsberg offers all of Kansas City the hope that standards and a great deal of class can endure in the world of digital publishing.
EL BRYAN AND THE NORTHEAST NEWS
No other newspaper captures the spirit of Kansas City as seen from the vantage of one of our many beleaguered neighborhoods. El Bryan and Michael Bushnell are doing great things @ Northeast News.
WORST IDEAS OF 2011
1. THE IDEA THAT SO MANY KANSAS CITY HOMICIDES ONLY IMPACT THE EASTSIDE - This persistent myth is literally killing Kansas City.
2. The KC Strip - Taxpayer subsidized garbage on wheels. An interest free loan for political power brokers that neither transports many people nor attracts new biz.
3. Kansas City Mayoral Takeover Of Public Schools - There's a lot or reasons why this won't work . . . But more than anything this will go down as the reason Mayor Sly only gets one term.
4. Downtown Hotel - The threat of this money loser defines this year and the next and gives credence to the wrongheaded idea that government can "create" jobs.
5. Regionalism - There is no "OneKC" we are in a WAR with the suburbs for economic survival in this era of the GLOBAL FINANCIAL DECLINE that looks like it will continue for the foreseeable future . . .
As always, this list has been compiled according to scientific TKC polling and market research data and it's a weekly comprehensive guide to local powerful people.