TKC EXCLUSIVE AND BREAKING NEWS!!! DERRON BLACK TALKS CAMPAIGN FOR DISTRICT 23 AGAINST REP. RANDY DUNN!!!
The August 2nd Primary is close and campaign talk is at the forefront of the local discourse in Kansas City's urban core along with some fairly routine media coverage.
For the record, and we've said this time and time again . . .
Sign stealing stories and allegations are about the lowest from of campaign rhetoric out there and the equivalent of political jaywalking.
To be fair, the old lady they interviewed in this story is delightful and I want to vote for her for President . . .
KSHB: Missouri State Rep. Randy Dunn says his opponent, Derron Black, stole his campaign signs and that he has the photos to prove it.
Now, the reality here is the Derron Black has been doing as much grassroots work as any candidate in this primary and its clear that he captured the attention of Mr. Dunn if the Missouri State Rep. is going public, calling the police and playing mobile phone paparazzi just a few days before the election . . . To be fair, Rep. Dunn is a undoubtedly a smart man and this kind of MSM hit piece might be effective.
Again, TKC does not make endorsements but we want to hear EVERY perspective and so we were thankful to get a brief call form Derron Black yesterday talking about this story and his campaign . . .
Regarding the allegations, Mr. Black was forthright . . .
"This is an incredibly weak attack from my opponent," Mr. Black said. "Look at where I'm at. I'm in my community every day talking with people about the issues that need to be addressed. The more I talk to people, the more I see that Mr. Dunn is absent from any kind of real discussion about issues. We're only seeing him on TV."
Again, to be fair, Mr. Dunn makes his case for sign stealing effectively in the TV story and the box cutter aspect of the story seemed to shake up the incumbent.
And so, that brings us to a quick juxtaposition between these two candidates for Tuesday . . .
- Rep. Dunn is a clearly a media savvy politico with connections to the MSM throughout Missouri.
- Mr. Black has relied on social media and face-to-face contact with his constituents to present a formidable challenge to the incumbent.
- Rep. Dunn has a longstanding alliance with Councilman Jermaine Reed along with an endorsement from Freedom, Inc. . . .
- Mr. Black is a former Navy man while Rep. Dunn was a high ranking executive at City Hall.
- Mr. Black famously interrupted Mayor Sly's speech and since expressing some regret, he has connected with the We The People Movement and earned a wide-cross section of contacts and friendships within the Bernie Sanders campaign in KCMO . . .
And all of this confirms the word of Kansas City Insiders who think this will be an important and close contest in the ongoing battle between more established East side politicos like Rep. Dunn vs. grassroots campaigners like Derron Black.
You decide . . .