TKC EXCLUSIVE!!! KANSAS CITY TRANSIT ACTIVIST CLAY CHASTAIN TAKES ON COUNCIL DUDE RUSS JOHNSON!!!
TKC NOTE: An important meeting of the minds in Kansas City as transit activist Clay Chastain goes into attack mode against the most prolific streetcar advocate currently on Council. Check it:
Johnson's brilliant streetcar plan takes from the poor - gives to the rich, "and leaves us naught but promised joy."
* Councilman Russ (Mensa) Johnson's incredibly stupid streetcar plan will largely be financed on the backs of the poor, and give them a transit system, "that is not about moving people!"
* Johnson's gargantuan one-cent sales tax he is proposing to finance his streetcar system ( to be imposed on a disproportionate number of poorer citizens living south of the river), is the medical research tax scheme all over again...take from the poor and give to the rich.
* Johnson's pseudo transit system (he himself said, "it is not about moving people"...but rather creating downtown economic development)
will not likely even create much economic development since developers are not going to build around rail lines that have low ridership!
* Unlike the light rail initiative that has several different interconnected citywide rail lines in its design along with a
inter-modal hub at Union Station, and a new network of low-emission buses and an expanded bike-way network that will:
1. Save people living south of the river time, money, and hassle on trips to and from the airport and to the burgeoning job market around the airport and in the northland;
2. Provide northlanders light rail train service to access jobs and major destinations south of the river;
3. Serve Downtown, Union Station, the Plaza, Brookside and Waldo, the Truman Sports Complex, the 15,000 job Cerner redevelopment project,
the Kansas City Zoo, a new Citadel redevelopment project on the eastside, and south Kansas City.......
Johnson's one-dimensional streetcar system will limit citizens to puttering around the central city on a maze of streetcars moving in traffic!
The only brillant thing Johnson has done thus far (brilliant to the oppressive government he is a part of) is to cleverly orchestrate the repeal of 75,000 votes for a light rail initiative in 2007, and to, thus far, lead the city council and Mayor James in obstructing a vote on a 2011 light rail initiative.
Community Activist, Clay Chastain