TKC BREAKING AND EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!! SHOW-ME ALLEGATIONS OF DISCRIMINATION AMID KANSAS CITY PETITION TO COMMUTE MICHAEL TAYLOR DEATH SENTENCE!!!
Tonight we bring surprising word of locals and students willing to put up a fight to save the life of a death row inmate in one of the most racially divisive murder trials Kansas City has ever witnessed.
To wit . . .
CHECK OUT THE LAUNCH OF A CAMPAIGN TO COMMUTE THE MICHAEL TAYLOR DEATH SENTENCE!!!
The effort seems to be organized with the help of this crew . . .
Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
Check the website just launched . . . And put on blast FIRST in Kansas City media here on TKC tonight . . .
Here is the reasoning behind the effort:
- Michael pled guilty to this crime even though, for the first time since 1976, Jackson county prosecutors would not make a deal to avoid the death penalty.
- Michael's trial lawyers were fired or quit in the middle of his case and not replaced.
- No jury ever heard Michael's case, and no jury ever decided he should be executed. He was sentenced to death by a judge.
- It has since become law that death sentences must be imposed by a jury, not a judge. In response the Missouri Supreme Court vacated the death sentence of every inmate--10 in total--not condemned by jury. Only Michael and his co-defendent were not afforded this opportunity.
- Nine former prosecutors and judges have urged the Missouri Supreme court to vacate Michael's death sentence.
Mission statement call to action for the ONLINE PETITION . . .
"Michael’s unequal treatment is discrimination—which is intolerable when applied to society’s most serious punishment. I am troubled by the state's actions in this case. It's time to give him the same treatment you've afforded so many other convicts and commute Michael's sentence."
For local legal eagles who are really interested in this one. Check out the Taylor Amicus brief.
Also, let's remember the old school brief that noted the WELL-DOCUMENTED RACISM that exists in this case.
Developing . . .