TKC BREAKING NEWS!!! SHOCK: $100K FOR KANSAS CITY TOY TRAIN STREETCAR ART!!!
And here's how Kansas City plans to waste money on transit in the New Year . . .
READ THIS ARTSY KANSAS CITY RFQ LOOKING TO SPRUCE UP DOWNTOWN TOY TRAIN STOPS!!!
As with any KCMO art project . . .
- We wonder if the work will actually be awarded to a local.
- Hopefully some of it will be in horrible taste.
- Now is a good time for local artists to be nice to former Mayoral contender Mike Burke.
City seeks art for streetcar project
The City of Kansas City, Mo., Municipal Art Commission invites professional artists or artist-led teams to develop innovative, original art to be integrated into the City's Downtown Streetcar Starter Project. The deadline for submittals is 4 p.m. Jan. 27, 2014 and the competition is open to all professional artists living in the United States.
The four-mile roundtrip streetcar route will become operational in late 2015, linking the River Market area near the Missouri River to the renowned Crown Center/Union Station area. The north-south route will run largely on Main Street and also will serve the Central Business District, the Crossroads Arts District and the Kansas City Power & Light District. There will be 16 stops, spaced roughly every two blocks.
While the commission will consider all proposals, the most likely ideas will focus on artwork integrated into the infrastructure on selected stops, where the art will serve as enhancements and possibly as identity markers related to neighborhoods along the way.
Artists will coordinate work with City staff, streetcar representatives and the design team. The estimated budget is $100,000, which will be divided among the selected stops.
Submissions should include:
- A letter of interest (two pages or less)
- A professional resume/CV (three pages or less)
- An annotated image list of past works
- A CD-ROM with up to 15 clearly-labeled images of related past work in JPEG format
- Up to three pieces of printed materials such as articles, catalogues, etc.
- Three references with current contact information
To view the full details for submissions, visit www.kcmo.org/art and click "KC Streetcar Public Art RFQ" or access the RFQ directly at http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/generalservice/documents/generalservices/streetcar_publicart_rfq.pdf.