TKC BREAKING AND EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!! TKC READER SCRUTINIZES JJ'S FUNDRAISING EFFORTS AFTER SOCIAL MEDIA DUST-UP!!!
TKC NOTE: This note was sent my way via social media and raises some good points that are being echoed across the local Internets. Take a look . . . Also, newsie tipsters tell me their working this story too . . .
SOCIAL MEDIA JJ'S FUNDRAISING MESSAGE . . .
After seeing this pic posted by one of the guys who helped organize the JJs benefit, I did a little research:
I've done some research this morning:
1) AEG donated $50k to the " J.J.'s Staff Assistance Fund"
2) JJs donated $5k to the " J.J.'s Staff Assistance Fund"
3) Uptown benefit raised $50k not including silent auctions
4) Silent auctions probably raised $25k+ considering most of those items are restaurant GCs and those usually go near face value. One photographer bragged that his pic sold for $250.
5) There was a "Saber" benefit on 4/17 with proceeds going to JJs. This was posted after the event and never followed up "We are still waiting on some auction payments to come in from the Saber event. We hope to have total raised soon!".
6) Dozens of other fundraisers were held: restaurants donating 10% of sales, servers donating a portion of tips, etc.
I'd ballpark that the donations are at least $200k at this point (which is crazy considering someone was at fault and anyone hurt surely has a great lawyer by now).
Organizers promised transparency and for the fund to be governed by a board, but no single update has been given since early March. It's really too bad there's no actual journalism in this town. This seems like a story with legs.
And if you're the face of the relief effort and there has been zero transparency, perhaps flaunting your Balinese vacation on the internets is not the best idea.