Monday, February 04, 2019
TKC EXCLUSIVE!!! INSIDERS THREATEN STALLED KANSAS CITY NEW AIRPORT FULL STOP UNTIL AFTER ELECTION!!!
The new airport is now officially stalled.
Let's make that perfectly clear . . .
THE THREE -TIMES RESCHEDULED 'GROUNDBREAKING' WAS FINALLY PLANNED FOR JANUARY BUT THE AIRLINES ARE STILL FAR AWAY FROM A DEAL!!! MAYOR SLY IS INCORRECT WHEN HE CLAIMS THE PROJECT IS ON TIME!!!
Sadly, it only get worse from there . . . Check the quick round-up . . .
- The project still needs an environmental report that isn't close to finished and might incur another month long delay if there's a 2nd government shut down.
- The Industrial Development Authority of Kansas City took action to provide about $90 million in short-term loans to the airport, so construction can begin as soon as a deal is in place. Critics of this money move are talking about a lawsuit over the funding switcheroo that breaks promises to voters about using taxpayer cash.
- The financing for this big money FOUR BILLION DOLLAR LOAN BOND ISSUE are worsening given that the airport doesn't generate that kind rent from the airlines.
- The smaller airlines are shaking their fist at Southwest and council politicos are dangerously close to getting in the middle of another costly antitrust beef.
- Reported FIRST by TKC the council is now actively talking REBID. Edgemoor is living down to expectations and the cost of the new airport is simply too damn high. In turn, KC can expect a court fight on that front as well.
And so . . .
INSIDERS THREATEN AN EMERGENCY PETITION/ORDINANCE TO BRING NEW AIRPORT DECISIONS TO A FULL STOP UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTION!!!
There is precedent for this one . . .
Remember that about 4 years ago Mayor Sly staged a sketchy coup by garnering a voting bloc from the outgoing council to move forward on a new hotel as their tenures were coming to a conclusion. That push eventually resulted in KCMO paying $35-million bucks and a ton of tax breaks based on nothing more than drawings and promises. Now the convention hotel is also behind schedule and opening up to a market glutted with much nicer properties that can offer better service to upscale visitors while the taxpayer subsidized hotel simply looks like a flop house for low-rent scumbags.
And so . . .
New KCI Airport progress remains stalled over airline disputes but now there's blood in the water and more special interests are moving in to complicate the process even further.
Developing . . .