TKC BREAKING AND EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!! CLAY CHASTAIN ANNOUNCES YET ANOTHER KANSAS CITY TRANSIT EFFORT FOR 2017!!!
Kansas City's most prolific and persistent transit activist offers a look at the future and his continued activism which no steers away from light rail and offers a hint at something new.
Here's the latest and the FIRST preview of the effort from TKC . . .
Clay Chastain announces new transit initiative for the 2017 ballot-minus light rail
Light Rail Question #3 garnered 41% of the vote on November 8 even though...
1. It had no organized campaign behind it;
2. All Kansas City's governmental, business and media elitists were against it;
3. Much of the media either covered it late, under-reported it, or acted like it did not exist; and
4. Both Kansas City's transit organizations opposed it, to boot!
Thus, no one can doubt Light Rail Question #3 tapped into the public's concern over the city's ineffective, inadequate and costly transit system.
As a result, many of my supporters urged me to try again and (this time) organize a campaign to promote its passage.
However, since I promised I would not bring another light rail initiative to the ballot I have had to design a whole new transit initiative (minus light rail) that will still get the job done....provide the people a more green, prosperous and transit-oriented city.
My design is complete and this new rail-based transit initiative combines beauty with utility and has a very good chance of being approved by CITYWIDE voters in 2017 because...
1. It will have an organized campaign behind it;
2. It will not seek to use one of the bus sales taxes;
3. It will cost far less than the light rail plan, but still be comprehensive;
4. It will still secure a hefty federal matching grant; and
5. There is no other transit improvement plan out there that can compare!
I will release the details of this new transit petition plan, and the rationale behind it, later this week.
My aim remains...to continue trying something until I accomplish something to improve Kansas City and turn it in the right direction.
Kansas City Community Activist....Clay Chastain
Developing . . .