Check The Downtown Kansas City Grand Boulevard Bridge Construction Timeline
Another glimpse of necessary inconvenience inside the loop . . .
MODot: Construction for the New Grand Avenue Bridge Begins Soon
KANSAS CITY – A nearly $3.5 million emergency contract has been awarded to Clarkson Construction Company to replace the Grand Avenue Bridge in downtown Kansas City after stress fractures prompted the Missouri Department of Transportation to immediately close the bridge on May 6.
Timeline is as follows:
- Demolition of the existing structure will begin at 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 26, through 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 29.
- All lanes of east and westbound I-670 on the south side of the downtown loop must close during demolition.
- A project to resurface I-670 was also recently awarded, and will be coordinated with the demolition work to allow both projects to be completed at the same time to minimize impacts to traffic.
- Construction for the new bridge will begin once the demo is complete and expected to reopen to traffic by Dec. 1.
- Motorists can bypass the I-670 closure using I-70.
- Pedestrians are detoured west of the Grand Ave. Bridge to Walnut Street.
- Motorists using Grand Avenue are detoured east of the Bridge on Oak Street.
MoDOT analyzed the severity of the stress fractures, and after careful examination, determined that the bridge needed to be completely replaced. MoDOT worked closely with the City of Kansas City to accelerate design plans to replace the existing structure.
The new bridge will be built in the same location, and include enhanced bike paths and wider sidewalks to safely travel across both sides of the bridge.
Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention as they drive past work zones. Not all work zones look alike. We remind motorists that work zones can be moving operations, such as striping, patching or mowing. They can also be short term, temporary lane closures to make quick repairs or remove debris from the roadway.