TKC TOP FIVE REASONS KANSAS CITY SHOULD SUPPORT KCPD CHIEF FORTÉ AMID UPCOMING PLAZA VIOLENT TEEN FLASH MOB CRACKDOWN!!!
Parents of the teens who are plaguing the Country Club Plaza have failed Kansas City when it comes to keeping the district safe.
Plaza merchants are too greedy to take charge of their own businesses.
And politicos and their curfews now seem powerless and really only out for their own careers when it comes to this ongoing hot mess.
To wit . . .
KCPD Chief Forté is the only Kansas City official who is confronting this problem directly.
This isn't going to be easy.
Already Council member Jermaine Reed seems content to exploit this issue during an election year.
Exercising their rights some activists have moved to the Plaza to video tape police and monitor the treatment of young people.
Even on this blog there's word of CCW nuts just begging to "stand their ground" and maybe get in a deadly altercation with these young people without parental supervision.
To wit . . .
CHECK TKC'S TOP FIVE REASONS TO SUPPORT CHIEF FORTÉ IN THE UPCOMING PLAZA CRACKDOWN!!!
Here we go:
1. Ignoring racial politics only perpetuates stereotypes - Kansas City's First Black Police Chief is uniquely immune to inevitable cries of racism.
KCPD Chief Forté has established a record of community interaction and engagement during his tenure and throughout his career. Cries of racism against any police crackdown that involves people of color are common but will be hard pressed to prove their validity.
2. Yes, The Plaza Is Important.
Like it or not, The Country Club Plaza remains the crown jewel of Kansas City retail and culture. Losing this district to flash mobs would be far more disastrous than any local shopping mall failure.
3. Focus On Keeping African-American Youth Safe.
Fact Check: Yes, some of these kids hassle patrons. But they also fight with each other more than anyone else. This aspect of the debate has long been ignored and KCPD INSIDERS remind us that police have broken up far more fights between African-American youth than prevented hassling of other Plaza Patrons.
4. Crackdown and fines are more effective than politically motivated youth programs.
Real Talk . . . Mayor Sly's youth parties simply didn't work last summer. Arrests, detentions, fines and policing seem to be the only real solution.
5. Parents should but won't solve this problem.
Years have passed with a call for parents to step up . . . That talk has fallen upon deaf ears and is now being fully ignored. Fines for parents and tougher handling of the youth the refuse to care for seems to be the only option.
Now you decide . . . Will you support the KCPD Chief in this already tense looking Kansas City Spring/Summer?
- KCTV5: Chief Forte says police to crack down on Plaza teen disturbances
- KSHB: Chief Forte details plan to fix Plaza problems
- FOX4: KCPD Chief Darryl Forte is unveiling what he calls the “Plaza Plan,” after a crowd of 150 teens gathered at the Country Club Plaza, the night ending in three fights and multiple arrests.