TKC QUESTION: DISMANTLE KANSAS CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS OR SUPPORT YET ANOTHER TURNAROUND PLAN?!?!
This could be the year for real changes for Kansas City Public Schools beyond the revolving door leadership or game of musical chairs for the administration.
Think about it:
- The Impending School Transfer Exodus Could Put The KCPS On The Road To Bankrupcy.
- Even The Most Strident KCPS Supporter Has To Admit The Recent Study Calling For The District To Be DISMANTLED Is Devastating.
- Read The Newest Latest KCPS Plan To Save Itself . . . There's Not A Lot There . . .
Here are the changes the KCPS suggests:
* Focus on individual schools
* Four ratings
* Proactive - Focus on interventions and support for improvement
* Expansion of the RSIT model along with individual support to schools
* Each school establishes a School Improvement Advisory Committee
* Students stay within the district
* Interventions provided at all levels
* SIAC monitors school improvement plan
* Three-year limit to gain provisional accreditation
* Research-based models determined by individual school performance and need
* Community engagement is an essential component
Again, that's pretty much the same plan that most people have been pushing for the past 30 years to no avail.
And in all this discussion it's important to remind those concerned with the future of the KCPS and how to save the beleaguered institution . . . Given horrific enrollment numbers, there's no arguing with the fact that people from EVERY DEMOGRAPHIC GROUP have abandoned the Kansas City Public Schools when given a choice.
NBC Action News: KCPS unveils its own turnaround plan
KMBC: KCPS unveils own plan to reform, improve district
Newspaper Editorial: Editorial: KC school proposal intriguing but risky
KSHB: School sees success in dismantling
Dead Tree Media Notes KCPS Enrollment Down 14K: Public school enrollment shows some shifts
Channel 41: Crowd packs CEE-Trust meeting
Last Word In Kansas City Public Education: Parents react to KCPS dismantling report
Developing . . .