TKC BREAKING AND EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!! ANNE McGREGOR CONTEMPLATING 4TH DISTRICT RUN AGAINST JIM GLOVER!!!
It seems that we might have a fight in the 4th District after all . . .
To wit . . .
KICK-ASS TKC TIPSTERS REPORT THAT COMMUNITY ACTIVIST ANNE McGREGOR HAS BEEN "WORKING THE ROOM" AT IMPORTANT KANSAS CITY POLITICAL GATHERINGS AND HINTING @ ANOTHER 4TH DISTRICT AT-LARGE BID!!!
Even better . . .
WE HEARD ANNE McGREGOR WAS TALKING TO ALL THE RIGHT PEOPLE @ THE FREEDOM INC. X-MAS PARTY!!!
Background on McGregor for those who might not remember: She's a former community organizer for Prez Obama, a Democratic Party volunteer AND one of the architects of the former Kansas City Mayor Funkhouser recall attempt.
Now, let's be realistic . . . McGregor faces an uphill battle against 4th District At-Large Incumbent Jim Glover.
Just a few facts which indicate Glover greatness . . .
- He earned an ASTONISHING 50K votes last time out without the purchase of a single yard sign and only minimal advertisement. Like it or not, people remember Jim Glover and vote for him out of habit.
- Jim Glover is a master debater. Really, he's MORE IMPRESSIVE IN PUBLIC FORUMS THAN MOST PEOPLE REALIZE despite the fact that he has more than a bit of longstanding opposition.
- Kansas City Establishment Loves Jim Glover - Generally, we think Jim Glover is a good guy but it's not a knock against him to note that he's the most entrenched Council Dude of all when it comes to local civic elite culture. JIM GLOVER IS THE GO-TO-GUY FOR THE 1% and this fact explains why he has spent the vast majority of his adult life on the City Council.
Are there keys to victory for Anne McGregor?
Nothing is impossible . . . Here's what has to happen:
- She'll have to exploit any voter resentment against the status quo . . . She might be the only chance for OPPOSITION to the toy train streetcar plans to find a voice.
- Anne needs to remind people that the "Glover Plan" was more than 20 years ago. Councilman Jim Glover talks a good game about economic development but the greatest example of his work comes from too long ago for voters to appreciate.
- McGregor is on the right track by STARTING HER CAMPAIGN EARLY . . . A long campaign that hitches itself to Glover's name is really the only viable strategy against a Councilman who virtually defines Democracy in Kansas City.
The odds aren't in McGregor's favor but Kansas City voters should be in for a treat as 4th District fighting among differing factions of the Democratic Party in a non-partisan election are always fun.
Developing . . .