THE TKC SUNDAY SPECIAL!!! ANTITRUST KANSAS CITY!!! CITY HALL DISCOURAGES COMPETITION IN KANSAS CITY MARKETS!!!
Kansas City insiders have long acknowledged that doing business in this town can be EXCEPTIONALLY political.
Even worse, among the local elite there seems to be a disdain for competition that impacts this our culture.
To wit . . .
TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE VIRTUAL MONOPOLIES SUPPORTED BY CITY HALL AND KANSAS CITY'S ELITE!!!
- Downtown Parking is dominated by one company that spike parking prices by at least 200% during major events.
- Kansas City's regulation of the taxi biz was targeted last year by a lawsuit that claimed "monopolistic practices" were in play.
- Watch a legislative session closely and notice the abundance of one-bid or no-bid contracts awarded to only one or two juggernaut engineering firms.
- Downtown stadium entertainment was handed over to a single company that would rather destroy a community asset than face competition.
- Finally, the fact that an obscure city ordinance bans the sale of 40 oz. booze bottles within City limits is also a free market injustice worth considering.
It seems that even when Kansas City politicos attempt to encourage competition in new industries, they get it wrong.
ISPs ask city for deal matching Google Fiber's special treatment
Local Kansas City Liberty Activist Tracy Ward laments the situation with the following line:
"It's just frustrating to see that a city can dictate the free market or lack thereof here in KC."
Accordingly, when we talk about the so-called "border war" or a "business-friendly" attitudes . . . It's important to consider City Hall legislation and insider dealing which thwarts competition has also contributed to an ongoing job exodus from Kansas City.