KANSAS CITY DOWNTOWN STREET CLOSURE AND PARKING DISASTER IN THE MAKING: WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS!!!
The Kansas City Downtown Council reminds us that over the next three weeks the Sprint Center and Municipal Auditorium will play host to four tournaments — the Big 12 men's b-ball, the NAIA men’s nationals, the NCAA men’s nationals first round and the MIAA men’s and women’s conference – stretching from March 7-24.
The Kansas City Convention & Visitors Association (KCCVA) estimates the economic impact of the Big 12 and NAIA tournaments at $11.5 million. This is based on spending by the attendees and the organization . . . And maybe some fairy dust.
MORE IMPORTANTLY . . . DOWNTOWN KANSAS CITY STREETS ARE GOING TO BE A MESS DURING MARCH AND PARKING PRICES WILL SKYROCKET!!!
For locals . . . This could be a GREAT EXCUSE to avoid all activities in the loop . . .
Here's just a preview . . .
BIG 12 STREET CLOSURES
Please be advised that fan fests and other Championship activities will close the following streets:
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th Street and Truman Road): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 11, through midnight on Sunday, March 17.
- 14th Street (between Walnut Street and Grand Boulevard): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 11, through midnight on Sunday, March 17.
- Walnut Street (between 13th and 14th streets): closed starting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 12, through midnight on Sunday, March 17.
In addition, Kansas City’s Inaugural Big 12 5K Fun Run and Family Stroll will close the following streets on Saturday, March 16, starting at 9 a.m. and lasting until the conclusion of the race (roughly 10:30 a.m.):
- Grand Boulevard (between Truman and Pershing roads)
- 16th Street (between Broadway Street and Grand Boulevard)
- Broadway Street (between 17th and 16th streets)
- 17th Street (between Broadway Street and Baltimore Avenue)
- Baltimore Avenue (between 17th Street and Southwest Boulevard)
- Southwest Boulevard (between Broadway Street and Baltimore Avenue)
- W. Pennway Street (between Southwest Boulevard and Pershing Road)
- Pershing Road (between W. Pennway Street and Grand Boulevard)