TKC EXCLUSIVE AND BREAKING NEWS!!! TOP FIVE CONSEQUENCES FOR GOP TAKEOVER OF THE JACKSON COUNTY LEGISLATURE!!!
Yesterday afternoon Kansas City political insiders broke news by revealing that Jackson County GOP Dude Greg Grounds won the chairmanship of the Legislature.
This morning the Examiner offers a bit more perspective:
Grounds is a Republican, the first to hold that position in the 40-year history of the current County Charter, which brought the modern County Legislature into being.
However, after talking with more than a few Jackson County Insiders about this development here are the conclusions we've developed . . .
CHECK THE TOP FIVE CONSEQUENCES FOR THE JACKSON COUNTY GOP TAKEOVER BY CHAIRMAN GREG GROUNDS!!!
5. There's an expectation that this won't change things at all - Legislator Grounds has a good working relationship with all of his colleagues and they seem to want to emphasize countywide cooperation.
4. Somebody wake up Fred Arbanas - This is important. We hear he's retiring after staying on simply to "protect" the county from Terry Riley. Sorry, I'm probably just being mean but the dude has been in the legislature for longer than I've been alive . . . AND MORE HOPEFUL JACKSON COUNTY GOP DENIZENS COULD NOW SEE OPPORTUNITY IN WHAT WAS FORMERLY ONE OF THE TOP DEMOCRATIC STRONGHOLDS IN MISSOURI!!! Jackson County serving as a rallying point for GOP aspirations could shake up the status quo as demographics start to shift.
3. THERESA GARZA-RUIZ EARNING VICE CHAIR SIGNALS A RENAISSANCE FOR ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL POLITICAL LADIES IN KANSAS CITY!!!
Behind the scenes we hear that Legislator Garza-Ruiz has actually/finally built a good working relationship with her colleagues. She's now on speaking terms with everybody, she has the ability to garner votes AND she's is no longer frozen out of the decision making process.
2. CRYSTAL WILLIAMS IS OUT OF THE LOOP ON THE LEGISLATURE!!! The nomination for Theresa Garza Ruiz to take the Vice Chair position was put forth by Legislator Dan Tarwater. And this begs the question:
WHAT HAPPENED TO "GIRL POWER" CRYSTAL?!?!
As the leader of the Greater Kansas City Women's Political Caucus and a lady who annoyingly plays the "sisterhood" card with every other breath . . . It was a shame that Crystal couldn't stand up for her former running buddy.
Big Picture: Crystal's radical agenda has isolated her on the Legislature and just about everywhere else but Cafe Trio.
1. MISSOURI DEMOCRATIC PARTY CHAIRMAN MIKE SANDERS TAKES A MAJOR HIT BY HANDING OVER THE LEGISLATURE TO GOP LEADERSHIP ON HIS WATCH!!!
Political insiders across Missouri are watching this one.
Real talk . . .
LIKE IT OR NOT THE GOP NOW HAS A FOOTHOLD IN THE JACKSON COUNTY DEMOCRATIC STRONGHOLD!!!
Remember that Jackson County Exec Mike Sanders takes all the credit for the PR moves from the legislature so it's only right that he share some of the blame/responsibility for this impending disaster to hit the Democratic Party.
A Jackson County Insider tells us this:
"Mike might try to downplay this one but it's a big deal. This is how it starts. A little over a decade ago, Democrats in Missouri held a 20 seat majority and they laughed at the prospect of a GOP takeover. Now there's a super-majority in both the Missouri House and Senate. Watch this one closely. Greg Grounds winning the Chairmanship could capture the attention of GOP strategists across the state who might now see an opportunity in a place where they once didn't bother spend their time or resources."
And so . . . While Missouri Party Chair Mike Sanders earned a lot of credit for Democratic wins at the top level during election season . . . His control over his own house is suspect.
DEVELOPING . . .