TKC TOP FIVE: DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION WITNESSED FROM A BASEMENT IN KANSAS CITY, MO!!!
Very much like the recent GOP celebration . . . I can't help thinking that the Democrat National Convention might as well be taking place on Mars for as much impact as it'll have on my day to day life.
Nevertheless . . . From watching the thing on TV like most local media pundits and "journalists" in Kansas City . . . Here's what I learned.
1. CELEBRATE!!! DEMOCRAT TOKENS ARE STILL MUCH MORE CONVINCING THAN THEIR REPUBLICAN COUNTERPARTS!!!
Democrat stories are still better. Julian Castro's story of family perseverance trumps Marco Rubio's speech that focused much more on espousing laughable Ayn Rand ideology with a salsa twist.
2. Like it or not and despite my personal preferences . . . Fist Lady Michelle Obama and her awful dress are more interesting than a generic blonde housewife.
3. The Democratic gathering looks a lot less angry and more like a party than the religious revival vibe from the GOP convention.
This is important . . . Angry and/or fanatical isn't a good look.
4. Let's face it . . . Fat kids are at fault for all of this nation's problems.
Or at least fat kids are easier to hate than the fact that the Democratic Party claims about job growth under Prez Obama don't have much basis in reality and are really nothing more than carefully worded spin.
5. FINALLY . . . MICHELLE OBAMA IS THE NEW OPRAH AND YOUR WIFE IS LYING ABOUT HOW SHE'S GOING TO VOTE!!!
Just watching the first night . . . Once again the Democrats have championed diversity and by contrast the GOP convention now seems like nothing more than a celebration of white dudes and their assorted tokens.
To wit . . .
WELCOME TO A NEW AMERICAN POLITICAL REALITY: WHITE DUDES ALONE CANNOT DECIDE THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE!!!
This is a real change from the politics that has defined the American Experience so far and the pushback against this fact of life only makes it seem more apparent.
Top Five DNC First Night Links. . .
New York Times: Michelle Obama Tops Opening Night for Democrats
Los Angeles Times: Julian Castro takes spotlight at Democratic convention
Washington Post: Fact checking the opening night of the Democratic convention
Wall Street Journal: Democrats Push to Rebut GOP - Michelle Obama Energizes Convention as Party Courts Women, Hispanic Voters
Reuters: Democrats defend Obama economic record at convention